Summer is upon us, and while some of us are off to do fieldwork, working on articles for publication, visiting family, or whiling the days away on nothing at all, I’ve decided to devote this summer to completing and starting a couple of new projects, as well as having a bit of fun.
- First on the list is wrapping up this dissertation. I am so over grad school and its attending melodrama, and I’m just ready to move on with my life. I’ve mostly enjoyed my experiences there, and I am grateful for the friendships I’ve forged and the lessons I’ve learned in graduate school. But it’s time, y’all. It’s time.
- Related to the grad school shenanigans is the cancellation of my summer course due to low enrollment. I was pretty hyped about teaching this course on LGBTQ identities and popular culture, but I do believe that this is a blessing in disguise. My diss completion timeline just got a boost, and I’ll have time to work on some other writing projects I’ve started. More on this later.
- The JOB SEARCH. I’ll go on the academic job market this year, but I’m also looking for alt-ac and post ac jobs. A girl’s gotta have options, ya’ know?
- I don’t want to reveal too much about all the pots I’ve got on the stove right now, but I can share one thing: I’m thinking about starting a podcast on Black lesbian literature and writers, past and present. What do y’all think? Would any of you listen? Be a guest on the show? I’d love to hear your suggestions. I’m in the planning stages, so email me if you want to talk about it.
- Me and the Mrs. are heading to Florida next week to celebrate her birthday and one year of relationship bliss. We are looking forward to the R&R!
- I’ve just come back from a couple of weeks with the fam, which is always a blast. I didn’t get to see many of my friends, but not for want of trying.
This is about the extent of my plans for the next couple of months. What are YOU doing this summer?